I’m in the best mood today! I had an aha! moment this morning… it was about understanding how the opposite sex show that they care. You know, you read it in all of the magazines: When a woman wants to show she cares, she tells him so. When a man wants to show he cares, he does something practical for her.
When The Italian and I were still in our fooling around stage, he was so frugal that I really thought that was going to be a deal breaker when we started dating. He made this comment about how he didn’t mind paying for dates but he didn’t want it to be expected (a fair stance for men, but he was pretty head-strong about it). He told me a story about a blind date who picked Starbucks as their meeting place, and he wanted her to pay for her own “damn expensive coffee” before he got there, so he waited for her to text and say “you’re late so I ordered” before he went in. The first time we had dinner together, he insisted that I pay. He did it jokingly and I knew it was a test, so I teased him for it, but I paid and I told him I was happy to do it.
Now when we go for dinner, he insists on paying. When he goes grocery shopping, he asks if I need anything. When a Chinook rolls through and the snow melts, he trades me car’s so that he can clean mine for me. I’ve never asked him to do any of those things.
And this morning… he surprised me with Starbucks.
P.S. I realize I haven’t been blogging about The Italian much… but sometimes it’s nice to just live it. If you want the day to day updates, you should really be following @IntrigueMe on Twitter.
2. He’s obsessed with making money and he’s also extremely frugal… and I mean extremely to the point of irritation (mine). He works 7 days a week just for the cash.
3. His accent is strong and I can’t understand half of what he says. This is probably why I like him, I only ever have to smile and nod.
4. He’s extremely critical of people, often arrogant, and sometimes flat out rude. He can also surprise me by being incredibly sweet. To be honest, I like that he can take my shit.
5. He’s even sexier than he used to be. This morning at breakfast (he finally took me on a “real date”-his idea-and he even paid) his arms and chest were nearly busting out of his shirt.
6. He’s funny! Usually it’s sarcasm or something awful he’s done to someone… but he makes me laugh regardless. I live in an area called “Huntington” and this morning he called it “Hung Ting Tang” because he didn’t recognize “Huntington” as being an english word. Maybe you had to be there.
7. He smells so good. He has a cologne “dealer”. WTF is a cologne dealer?
“And ever has it been known that love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation.” -Khalil Gibran During heartbreak, there comes a point where you have to mentally push aside all of the little things. The grey … Continue reading →